Day 8: Presenting... part 2!

Today, I was able to present! I am happy I was able to get some practical work done today, and that the research I've been doing has paid off. To sum it up, the presentations went very well, and I aim to do more of them throughout the rest of the individual study. Unfortunately, I didn't present the paleo touch cart, but rather I had presented more with the malacology one. 

I started by working with the "hammer oyster," "left handed whelk" and "chambered nautilus." Again, it is very much encouraged for docents to only have up to three specimens at once on display; this is for the very simple reason that they are easier to keep an eye on. I wanted to start with one specimen for all three of the classes, something that I did not do the last time I presented. Another thing I made sure I did was to choose items which were smoother and less fragile. Last time, I picked some specimens which were beautiful but had very fine features. Today I was nervous to put them out again in case things got too lively, so I changed those for smoother, less delicate specimens (which were very nice too). 

In my opinion, this set-up worked really well. There wasn't much to memorise other than some basic facts on each of the mollusks I chose, and the presentation flowed smoothly as I got from one specimen to another. Also, today, while there were a lot more guests than yesterday, it was a "calmer" day. This made presenting a lot more straightforward. 

All in all, I was very happy to have gotten to present once again today and that all the research I've been doing has paid off. Other than being nervous to present, nothing went awry so that's good. I'll try to go for a paleo hall touch cart in these last couple days. 

Same as last time, I couldn't take a picture of me presenting, but I did take a picture of the cart and objects I started out with...


In the middle, there is the left-handed whelk, on the left the chambered nautilus, and on the right the hammer oyster (which fittingly looks like a hammer).  The left-handed whelk is a gastropod, the chambered nautilus is a cephalopod, and the hammer oyster is a bi-valve. So, as you can see, I tried to use one specimen of each class whenever I had three out on display. 

After that, once the crowd of people started dwindling, and I had deemed that I had stayed a good amount of time, I returned the cart to its appropriate placement, and went to grab the Permian cart from the paleontology exhibit hall. There was less than an hour left before I had to leave, and I still had a couple more things I needed to touch up on for this cart, so I didn't feel confident to present this one yet. So, I took it to a spare room and continued with some general research. 

For tomorrow, I plan to try to present the touch cart from the paleo Permian hall, since I've been working on that for the last couple days. If I won't feel confident then, I'll continue presenting at the malacology hall. 

I look forward to tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10: The Last Day

Day 7: Independent Work

Day 6: The Permian Cart